This story began last year when Lauren Marie Tamburrelli rear-ended an SUV and caused it to roll through the cable barrier on I-10. Both occupants in the SUV were killed. Witnesses say that Tamburrelli got out of the vehicle holding a child and her speech was slurred. Police say her blood-alcohol level was .205.
As part of a plea agreement, Tabmurrelli pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter and was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
At Lorona Mead, we know that drunk drivers are a continuing problem for people on our roadways. They are also just one of many ways that people get injured in vehicle accidents. If you need a Phoenix car accident attorney, we will work to secure the compensation you need for all of your accident-related injuries.
The Numbers And Injuries
In Arizona’s latest reporting year, there were a total of 127,064 total accidents in the state. Out of those:
- There were 55,474 injuries
- There were 1,000 fatalities
While we realize that most vehicle accidents only cause property damage or minor injuries, we want you to consider that even a single emergency room visit can cost thousands of dollars. Minor injuries can mean major medical bills.
When major injuries do occur, those costs can skyrocket. Consider the following injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Major lacerations and amputations
- Major internal injuries
Did you know the cost for the first-year care of a spinal cord injury can be over $1 million dollars? When you consider that many of those injuries above require long-term rehabilitation for a full recovery, the begin to see the real costs of a car crash.
Will your insurance cover all of the bills?
What about lost income if you cannot work?
Why They Happen
There are many reasons that accidents occur in Arizona and not all of them are because of reasons that are flat out negligent. However, there are many times when a person’s actions makes them especially dangerous on the roadways and they should be held accountable.
- There were 2,854 alcohol-related crashes during the latest reporting year. 286 of those were fatal.
- More and more people are making the choice to pay more attention to their phones or other devices when they are driving. Distracted driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Speeding and aggressive driving are major causes of accidents in this state. 22,158 people were injured in speed-related incidents during the latest reporting year.
Your Next Steps
Getting injured in a car crash that was caused by someone else’s negligence is frustrating. Not only do you have to deal with your injuries, but you have to fight to get the compensation you need for all of your expenses. At Lorona Mead, you can let us handle that part. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work with insurance companies and all parties involved to ensure you get a fair amount of money for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages