When you start your day, you likely never expect that you will need to secure assistance from a Phoenix wrongful death attorney. If you are here because you lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person, please let us extend our condolences. We know this is an incredibly difficult time for you and your family.
At Lorona Mead, you can count on having a compassionate and dedicated team by your side. We will work to secure the compensation you deserve. Today, we want to talk about how these cases arise, beginning with a recent DUI accident in Phoenix.
These Are Tragic Cases
Today, we want to talk about a tragic case from April that took the life of a Phoenix man.
On April 24, Thomas Taraba, 35, was walking on the sidewalk near 37th Street when Zachary Showers, 20, veered off the roadway and struck him. Taraba was taken to the hospital but did not survive his injuries. Showers initially fled the scene but returned and showed signs of impairment.
Police arrested Showers and have accused him of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was processed for DUI, one count of manslaughter, and one count of fatal accident and endangerment.
This is not uncommon in and around Phoenix. In fact, one of the common ways in which wrongful death cases arise revolve around DUI incidents. For the latest reporting year in Arizona, we know that impaired drivers caused 32% of the total vehicle crashes in the state.
- Drunk drivers are a danger to other vehicle passengers, motorcyclists, and pedestrians.
However, we know that there are many other ways in which wrongful death cases arise. As we briefly review some of these, please know that this is not a complete list and that you should always speak with a qualified attorney when making decisions regarding your case.
- Distracted driving incidents – this includes those who are on their phones and other devices at the time of a crash.
- Medical mistakes – these are the third leading cause of death in the United States.
- Workplace incidents – employers have a duty to ensure their workers are safe.
- Defective products – companies and manufacturers often let faulty products make it to the market.
- Criminal activity – if a person kills someone while committing a crime, they can be held liable both criminally and civilly.
What You Can Do Now
If you are here because you lost a loved one, we know this is a difficult time. When you call Lorona Mead, our team will do what we can to put your mind at ease. These cases can become incredibly complex, but we want to do everything possible to make this right.
Our knowledgeable and experienced attorneys will investigate what happened and work to secure compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of companionship and guidance damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible