Civil Litigation Lawyer Phoenix
Lorona Mead provides the kind of civil litigation lawyer Phoenix Arizona residents can count on for fast and efficient resolutions. Having represented a broad range of clientele, each with their own unique litigation matters, we understand the vast complexities that a claim can present. If you’re struggling to resolve an important issue, we encourage you to contact us today for a free consultation.
What is Civil Litigation?
Civil litigation is a legal pursuit to resolve a dispute or matter that does not include a criminal charge. These cases can be filed by a civil litigation lawyer Phoenix provides, or by an individual. Once the claim has been established, it may result in a trial, mediation, arbitration, or settlement.
In general, civil litigation claims are filed to seek some sort of remedy. This could include the request for monetary damages as well as equitable relief. The latter involves a judge to order a party to do or refrain from a specific action. For instance, a judge might order one party to return a piece of property, such as a house or work of art, to another party.
How a Phoenix Civil Litigation Lawyer May Help You
The team at Lorona Mead has over 50 years of combined experience, including court litigation and alternative dispute resolution procedures, such as arbitration. Some of our detailed expertise in litigation areas includes:
- Appellate advocacy
- Business and commercial litigation
- Construction litigation
- Workers’ compensation
- Personal injury/ wrongful death
- Products liability
- Professional liability
- Real estate litigation
- + More
If you’re not sure what type of litigation you need, you can speak with a civil litigation lawyer in Phoenix to find out what your options might be.
Things to Consider Before Filing a Lawsuit
When you’re involved in a dispute such as an accident, family matter, business matter, or injury, you might immediately think “I should file a lawsuit.” However, things are not always so straightforward. Before you take the steps to file a lawsuit in Phoenix, you should consider the following and speak with a civil litigation lawyer.
- Is your case strong enough? Prior to filing a lawsuit you’ll need to make sure you have a legitimate claim, also known as a cause of action. For example, just because you slipped and fell in a shopping mall, this doesn’t mean you can recover compensation. There are many factors that need to be considered. This is why you should call a civil litigation lawyer as soon as possible.
- Have you tried to resolve your dispute? Before rushing to the courthouse, ask yourself whether or not you have tried to resolve the matter. Perhaps the at-fault party has a genuine desire to make the situation right. If so, arbitration or mediation could be a better solution.
- Could there be a valid compromise? Step back and consider the point of view of the other party. Is their argument valid in anyway? If so, rather than filing a lawsuit, you might want to readjust your position. For example, if money is involved, perhaps you can reduce the amount you are asking for. You can discuss these issues with a civil litigation lawyer in Phoenix.
- Will you win and be able to collect an actual settlement? Assess the financial situation of the party you might sue. Just because you could file a lawsuit against them doesn’t actually mean you would receive a settlement. For example, if the at-fault party has no assets, there’s a good chance you won’t collect any money. If receiving a sense of justice is more important than getting money, then a lawsuit might be a viable choice.
- Can you afford a lawyer, and do you have the time for a lawsuit? Lawsuits are not cheap. If you are not able to recover your lawyer’s fees in the settlement, you may need to pay for their legal services. Furthermore, lawsuits require extensive amounts of time and energy. You may feel exhausted, anxious, and stressed throughout the duration of the process and have little time to spend on other obligations. For this reason, civil litigation lawyers often suggest trying mediation or arbitration first.
- Where will you file the lawsuit? If you are filing a lawsuit against a party in another state or country, Arizona might not have power over that jurisdiction. This means you might have to file a lawsuit in that state. You might also be obligated to seek a lawyer who can represent you from that jurisdiction, rather than hiring a Phoenix civil litigation lawyer.
- Could you file in small claims court? Every state has its own rules regarding small claims court. In general, lawsuits in small claims court cannot be worth more than $5,000. Even if you pursue this option, you can still retain a lawyer for advice or coaching as you prepare for your small claims court case in Phoenix.
What to Expect When You Retain a Civil Litigation Lawyer
The outcome of your claim can depend upon several factors, including total cumulative losses and available evidence. Although you can file a claim on your own, it is often not recommended to do so for complex matters: this could result in confusion, delays, and unnecessary stress. A civil litigation lawyer Phoenix trusts may represent you during every step of the process. With their guidance, you may be able to settle your claim in a timely manner and get the desired outcome you were hoping for.
Lorona Mead: A Phoenix Law Firm You Can Count On
At Lorona Mead, the hallmark of our practice is our dedication to our clients. It is our pledge to provide comprehensive, supportive civil litigation services to those who may need it most. Regardless of what you may have heard or been told, civil litigation can include legal matters of all kinds.
If you are experiencing an issue with another party or entity and are ready to find the right solutions, Lorona Mead may be able to help. We offer free case evaluations to individuals and parties who may be interested in seeking legal counsel from our firm. To schedule a complimentary consultation with a civil litigation lawyer Phoenix has to offer, please call our office today.