The Consequences of a DUI Conviction
Being convicted of a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charge will likely result in major consequences, as a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ offers can tell you. It does not matter if this is your first DUI or your first criminal offense– you may still face serious consequences. Consequences of a DUI include jail time, steep fines, a criminal record, and civil implications. It will be even worse for you if you have any previous DUIs on your record, or if anyone was injured or killed as a result of you driving while impaired. In fact, your jail sentence could be quite long. A DUI attorney Phoenix AZ locals recommend from Lorona Mead can review the circumstances of your arrest and protect your rights. We have had great success helping clients avoid a conviction. This is important because a conviction may result in any of the following:
- Jail time can significantly impact your life in a negative way because it shows up on your record and can cause problems when you are trying to find a job.
- You may lose your current job and be forced to spend time away from your family and friends.
- A DUI conviction may require you to pay steep fines. The court may order you to pay as much as 500 dollars, even if it is your first driving offense.
- If you have other DUI convictions or points on your license record, you should expect even higher fines and more jail time. A DUI attorney Phoenix AZ residents choose from our firm can explain the possible repercussions as they pertain to your unique circumstances.
- If you are deemed eligible for “work release,” which is a leave of absence from jail each day so that you can go to your job, you might have to pay a fine so that you can do so.
- If you receive a DUI conviction, even if it is the first time, it will go on your license as a criminal offense.
- A lot of employers are hesitant when hiring individuals with a criminal background and convictions of DUIs, so you may encounter difficulty finding jobs that require you to drive a car or truck.
- You may also encounter trouble when trying to find an apartment or condo. Often times, landlords will conduct a background check on any possible tenant. If you have a criminal conviction on your background check, you can be denied housing.
- Civil implications can be charged to your record if you were driving under the influence and killed or even injured another person in the process. The family of the victim may try to sue you for wrongful death or injury and if a judge rules that you were at fault, you will be ordered to pay the victim’s medical expenses, lost wages, and funeral expenses.
If you are facing a DUI charge, you should reach out to a Phoenix DUI attorney for help. At Lorona Mead, we have a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ drivers turn to when in similar circumstances. Call us today to request a free phone consultation with a DUI attorney in Phoenix AZ who may be able to get your charges reduced or even dropped.
Turn to a DUI Attorney Phoenix AZ Community Members Rely On
If you are looking for a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ counts on, you may want to contact Lorona Mead for legal counsel. Our firm has over 50 years of combined experience and we are eager to help you with your driving under the influence (DUI) case. With an experienced Phoenix DUI attorney by your side, you may have a better chance at getting your charges dropped or reduced.
Consequences of a DUI Conviction
If you get convicted of a DUI, it can change your life for a long time, as a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ residents trust can attest. Here are some of the consequences of a DUI conviction:
- Jail Time: A DUI conviction may result in jail time. A judge might consider several factors when determining a jail sentence, such as your criminal record, your blood alcohol concentration and how you were driving. If you have to spend time in jail, you may lose your job and be forced to spend time away from your family.
- Fewer Employment Opportunities: A DUI attorney in Phoenix AZ has also seen individuals have trouble getting jobs after a DUI conviction. Employers may feel nervous about hiring individuals with DUI convictions, especially if the job involved driving a vehicle. Those with DUI convictions may have to try harder to secure employment than people with clean records.
- Driver’s License Revocation: If you get convicted of a DUI, a judge can take away your driver’s license for quite sometime, as a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ locals respect can confirm. Without a driver’s license, it may be challenging to go to work, run errand or go to social gathering. Having to rely on other people to drive you around can be stressful.
- Fewer Housing Options: With a DUI conviction on your your record, you may also have more difficulty renting an apartment, as a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ residents rely on can verify. Many landlords do background checks these days and may not be so keen on renting to individuals with criminal records.
- Strained Personal Relationships: If you get a DUI conviction, it may negatively affect your relationships with your family and friends. They may lose trust in you and not think of you the same if you have a criminal record.
- Higher Auto Insurance Rates: A DUI attorney Phoenix AZ locals depend on has represented individuals who had to pay higher auto insurance premiums after a DUI conviction. Insurance companies consider people with DUI convictions a high risk and charge them more money for car insurance. In some cases, insurance companies cancel a person’s auto insurance altogether after a DUI conviction.
- Fines: DUI conviction typically come with fines. Even if you are a first-time offender, you may have to pay hundreds of dollars in fees. It may be difficult to pay these fines if you don’t have a job or your money has to go toward other bills.
Benefits of Hiring a DUI Lawyer
It is not a wise idea to handle a DUI charge without legal representation. If you have a skilled lawyer by your side, you are more likely to get favorable results. Here are a few potential benefits to seeking out and hiring a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ respects:
- Reduced Penalties: One major benefit is that your lawyer may be able to reduce your charges and/or fines. For example, if this is your first DUI offense, your lawyer may be able to talk to the prosecutor about giving you probation instead of jail time.
- Protection from the Police: If you talk to the police about your case without a lawyer present, they may ask you illegal questions and trick you into confessing. A DUI attorney won’t allow the police to ask you inappropriate questions.
- Representation in Court: Walking into a courtroom can be scary, especially when you are dealing with a criminal charge. If you walk into the courtroom with a skilled DUI attorney Phoenix AZ depends on, you may feel less nervous.
People often ask about the potential benefits of representing themselves in court, but self-representation is neither common nor recommended. The intricacies of this area of the law, as well as the severe consequences for those found guilty, make it extremely difficult to effectively represent oneself. The individuality of each case, and the in-depth analysis that tends to be involved make it that much wiser to consider working with a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ recognizes for experienced representation.
Possible DUI Defenses
It’s crucial that you speak with a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ chooses for his expertise and critical thinking when it comes to building your defense. Every DUI case is unique and complicated in its own way, and there are a variety of possible defenses for each situation. Being strategic and familiar with the details of a DUI arrest are keys to a successful outcome.
A DUI defense strategy can focus on the arresting officer’s actions, the chemical analysis and breathalyzer tests to which you submitted, or witness testimony, among other areas. Here are a few examples of the types of legal defense strategies your Phoenix DUI attorney might employ:
- Challenging the Level of Impairment: What the officer observed regarding your level of intoxication is something that can be questioned, especially considering that the government’s determination of what it means to be legally impaired keeps changing. Witnesses may be able to testify that you did not appear to be intoxicated. In addition, a good DUI attorney in Phoenix AZ will understand that field sobriety tests have limitations, even to the extent that sober people have trouble passing them. Knowing this can strengthen your case.
- Driving Defenses: Proving you were intoxicated is not always enough: it is necessary for the prosecution to also prove that you were the one driving the vehicle. However, in the absence of a police bodycam or patrol car video, this can be difficult. There may not be any witnesses who can testify that you were the driver. This potential defense strategy can be fortified by how common it is for police to arrive to the scene late and arrest the wrong person or misidentify the driver.
- Challenging the Level of Blood-Alcohol Concentration: It’s common for there to be inaccuracies with the widely-used methods of blood, breath, and urine testing. Working with a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ trusts for their in-depth knowledge of police procedures is very important. For example, not only can police use incorrect procedures, which may contaminate their samples, many breathalyzers use nonspecific analysis, which can mistakenly identify other chemical substances as alcohol. Inaccurate readings can also result from radio frequency interference.
- Legal Defenses: Your attorney may be able to apply one of the more common legal defenses to your case. For example, if the officer who stopped you did not have legal cause to do so, it is possible that the evidence could be suppressed. If a sobriety roadblock was involved, that is a chaotic scenario that a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ knows for skilled defense may be able to address. Any self-incriminating statements you may have made could also be suppressed if the officer failed to give Miranda warnings after arresting you. Or, if the officer failed to give implied consent warnings–that is, if you were not informed of the consequences for refusing to take a chemical test–then the evidence from the test may be inadmissible.
DUI cases can be more complex than meets the eye. Be sure to speak with a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ clients can trust to conduct a thorough analysis of your case, and to address the finer points that may be able to improve the outcome.
Questions to Ask a DUI Attorney
When you are meeting with a Phoenix DUI attorney for the first time, it may be important to ask questions about his or her experience and skills. Here are a few questions you may consider asking a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ offers:
- How many DUI cases do you handle a year?
- How do you plan to tackle my case?
- Where did you attend law school?
- Will you be the only lawyer working on my case?
Contact a DUI Attorney in Phoenix AZ
During your first consultation with a DUI attorney Phoenix AZ trusts from Lorona Mead, we may calculate exactly how much it will cost to take your case. If you have just been charged with a DUI, you are likely wondering how much it will cost to hire an experienced attorney. The price may vary depending on the severity of your charge and other factors. If you can’t afford to pay the entire amount initially, we may be able to work out a payment plan for you.
If you are facing a DUI charge, we may be able to help you. Our experienced and skilled DUI defense attorneys represent individuals facing both felony and misdemeanor DUI charges. Regardless of the facts of your case, your history or your current circumstances, we may work tirelessly to protect your rights, to defend you, and to keep a DUI off your record.
Do not wait to hire a lawyer to take your DUI case. The sooner you do, the sooner you can put this mess behind you. A DUI conviction may have drastic effects on your life for many years to come. It’s important to know that your rights are being protected so that you do not receive an unjust conviction. If you are searching for a skilled DUI attorney Phoenix AZ has to offer, call Lorona Mead today.